Director - Science and Policy
Director - Technical Services and Research
Program Strategy and Management
- Manage finances and operations of the department.
- Develop and execute departmental strategic plan, support and direction including an annual budget to guide overall programmatic direction to improve organizational efficiency and impact.
- Management and evaluation of department staff and program-related activities.
- Grant proposal, implementation, management, reporting and tracking.
- Lead on developing annual program evaluations.
- Initiated and conducted a departmental merger of the Design and Advocacy Department and the Technical Services and Research Department in order to create efficiencies and streamline organizational goals using research to inform policy.
Policy Strategy and Implementation
- Strategic policy city-wide initiatives that involve trees in development, regulation and legislative issues.
- Communicate with developers, legislatures and other decision makers to keep the urban forest healthy
Manage and engage a volunteer group of tree advocates around development, tree preservation and expanding tree canopy throughout the District.
- Development and implementation of a mobile application and technological upgrades to address structural inadequacies including a new tree tracking application and GIS server to manage tree data in real time.
- Oversee, conduct and refine: data collection, analysis, mapping, data tracking and related services to assist other departments achieve goals and objectives, and; to assist partners in their efforts as needs dictate.
- Unique scientific content creation for web pages and brochures.
- Translation of scientific expertise for a non-technical audience.
- Creation a citizen science program to engage volunteers and further research capacity.
- Creation and implementation of a joint Partnership with Davey Trees to create iTreeLessons.com - a freely available middle school unit aligned with Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Common Core.
- Increases outreach, awareness, partnerships and participation through development, implementation, and promotion of online mapping, CT application and web-based tree interaction tools.
- Oversee and implement a biennial research conference with 300 + attendees focused around Livable Communities.
- Oversees existing research and builds organizational portfolio to increase research. Partners with academic institutions, non-profits, for-profits and others to further organizational mission and operational objectives.
- Oversees annual fellowship competition for researchers in urban forestry.
- Provides data compilation, analysis, report language and related support for all publications.
- Monitors the conditions and extent of DC’s (and metro’s) urban forest through regular aerial and on-ground assessments and works with partners to build regional coordination/cooperation.
- National Science Foundation Science, Technology, engineering, and Mathematics Graduate Students in K-12 Education.
- Build and maintain learning communities in the STEM fields by establishing educational partnerships involving Rutgers University and local school districts teaching grades 5-9.
Pre-Doctoral Leadership Development Institute
- Group designed to help prepare doctoral students for faculty and academic leadership roles.
- Focused on leadership concepts and competencies, and the contemporary challenges facing higher education in the United States.
Carnegie/Rutgers Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Group created initiatives to advance Teaching Assistant understandings of teaching methodologies.
- Prepared future faculty through institutional partnerships with senior faculty.
- Assessment to identify the outcomes of improved teaching pedagogy.
Graduate Research Assistant
- Mapping Power line Right of Way (ROW) in the New Jersey Pinelands. Conducting Vegetation surveys in the Power line ROW.
Associate Director of Orientation, Project Coordinator and Assessment
- Organized, registered and ran the annual orientations for approximately 300 new teaching assistants and part-time lecturers.
- Organized and ran the annual international teaching assistant orientation
- Created and planned TAP workshops and certificate programs for graduate students and faculty.
- Created promotional materials for the program.